Friday, November 2, 2012

~Perfect Pie Crust~


It's here!!!! Pie time in America!!
Ahhhhh, that most elusive of baked goods, the HOMEMADE PIE CRUST.  
I have pined for many holiday seasons wishing for the skill and recipe necessary to make flaky, golden, tasty crust by hand.

.....I found it..... brought to me by none other than that maven of elegant cooking whom I believe to be the Julia Child of our time.....INA GARTEN~ The Barefoot Contessa.
And let me tell ya, this could not be easier.  No really....no I'm serious....look, just try it okay?  
Never again will we have to to say with chagrin, "Uh, no, the crust is store bought. But the fillings' really good, yeah?"  No, now we can hold our heads high and proudly proclaim......

"It's homemade 'Ducky', so stick that in your pie hole and eat it!"


PERFECT PIE CRUST

~12 Tbsp VERY cold butter, cut into cubes
~3 cups flour
~1 tsp salt
~1 Tbsp sugar
~1/3 cup VERY cold Crisco (this is only place I use shortening, but it's integral to recipe)
~1/2 cup ice water

Cut butter and return to fridge while assembling rest of ingredients. ALL FATS MUST REMAIN ICE COLD!  Put flour, salt, and sugar in food processor and pulse 3 times.  Add butter and crisco and pulse anywhere from 4-8 times.  You want to SEE the fat chunks in dough, so if you live somewhere warm like I do pulse only 4 times before adding water.  Add ice water while processor until just forms ball.  Turn out onto floured surface and pat into disk, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.  Ready to 'Pie It Up!!'

*check out 'link parties' above to see where this and other recipes are shared weekly!

Our prayers and thoughts to the victims of Sandy-go here to see how you can help




5 comments:

Adelina Priddis said...

I wonder if it's the ice cold that I've been missing in my pie crusts? They never turn out right, but I also tend to skip keeping things cold. I'll have to give this a try.
Thanks for linking up with Foodie Friday!

SugarBeam said...

Yes Adelina, it is DEFINITELY a 'ice cold' problem. The fat has to stay intact so that when it cooks it becomes little steam pockets in dough and creates the 'layers' we're all looking for. Try it you'll love it! Good luck! ;-}

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I didn't know about the ice cold Crisco. Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Sue Boyer said...

Oh, I never saw the two, butter and crisco used in a pie crust. Thank you for the recipe.

We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
http://simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-best-pa-dutch-apple-dumplings

SugarBeam said...

Crisco helps with flakiness factor, while butter is for flavor! :-}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...